MOSFET gate driver- buck converter in proteus
In this article we will learn how to make MOSFET gate driver-buck converter in proteus.
In the last post we will learn how to interface PIC microcontroller 16FA877 with DC motor driver circuit. You can visit our website,
I hope you appreciate my work, let’s discuss about today’s project.
What is MOSFET?
“The MOSFET Gate Driver is a type of DC to DC power amplifier that in the form of on-chip as well as discrete module in which we use MOSFET as the gate driver IC, the low power is taken as input from MOSFET and high power is obtained its gate terminal and vice versa according to need.”
Components which we use in this project are listed below:
- Ground terminal
- Power terminal
- Pulse generator
- Jumper wires
Diagram of this project is below:
Construction of MOSFET buck converter in proteus
- Connect the H in pin of IR2101 with the pulse generator
- Connect the L in pin of IR2101 with the pulse generator
- Connect the VCC pin of IR2101 with the +ve
- Connect the GND pin of IR2101 with the GND
- Connect the pin A of power terminal with the pin H in of IR2101
- Connect the pin B of power terminal with the pin L in of IR2101
- Connect the pin C of power terminal with the LO pin of IR2101 through the one side of resistor
- Connect the other side of resistor with the base pin of MOSFET
- Connect the one side of inductor with the one side of R3 through –ve side of capacitor
- Connect the other side of inductor with the pin VS of IR2101 through the pin D of power terminal and one side of capacitor
- Connect the +ve side of Diod with the +ve terminal
- Connect the –ve side of diod with the other side of capacitor through the pin V8 of IR2101
- Connect the HO pin of IR2101 with the one side of resistor
- Connect the other side of resistor with the MOSFET
Working of MOSFET gate driver- buck converter in proteus
The working of the MOSFET Gate Driver starts when the power is generated from power terminals.
The IR2101 starts with the power terminal; the input pulse generators convert this power into the special length as set by the user.
These pulses Enter at the gate terminals of MOSFETs.
Both of these MOSFETs do not turn on at the same time. They work in a loop so that if the high side MOSFET is turned on then the other is off and vice versa.
The MOSFET M1 on the upper side of the circuit is considered at the High side of the driver and the MOSFET M2, on the lower side of the circuit is at the Low side driver.
After some time, when the voltage becomes greater than the threshold voltage of MOSFETs, they start working.
The terminals of MOSFETs are connected with the capacitor.
The aim of this circuit is to charge the capacitors. Hence when the MOSFET starts working, the charging of the capacitor takes place.
The pulses reach both the MOSFET at a very specific time due to IR2101.
Once the capacitor C2 is fully charged, it starts the discharging power and this discharging power from the inductor as well and at last, it goes to the ground terminal.
In this case, the polarity of the inductor changes and in this way, the energy stored in the capacitor is discharged.
Hence at the end, when we check on the oscilloscope, we get the changed output pulse from the input.
Applications of MOSFET gate driver- buck converter in proteus
- Voltage Regulation
- Efficiency Improvement
- Current Limiting
- Soft Start
- Voltage Scaling
Advantages of MOSFET CIRCUIT
- Improved Switching Speed
- Reduced Heat Generation
- Precise Control
- Protection Features
- Drive Strength